Adding security to dgraph

Hey Lonnie,

We’ve thought about a feature like this – this is an advanced feature that I think would be relevant and useful once we’ve crossed v1.0. Until then, we have a lot of GraphQL features to bake into the database, to make it respond to the kind of queries people expect from a graph database.

If your Dgraph nodes are distributed across different networks, and you’re concerned about man in the middle attacks, we could provide an option to encrypt the communication between nodes using TLS. That wouldn’t give you ACL, but it would help specifically with man in the middle attacks.

You could potentially bake in ACLs on top of Dgraph, a security layer which sits right above it, and interacts with your application. That might be one solution to this problem – that typically would be necessary for other databases as well, for e.g. MySQL.

Let me know how this sounds. I’m very curious to learn what usage you have, and if we can help you in any way. We can definitely expedite any planned features for v1.0 release – if you have any particular needs. Here’s a list of all planned features:

Thanks!
Cheers,
Manish

1 Like