Counting k-hop neighborhood

I can get k-hop neighborhood using this query:

test(func: uid(0x29fa)) @recurse(depth: k) {  
    uid
    expand(_all_)
}

And I know I can count unique nodes that come in JSON response manually, but is there a way to get size of neighborhood in query response?

certainly you can do it with https://docs.dgraph.io/query-language/#count

Can you please point me to the right direction, because neither

{
  test(func: uid(0x29fa)) @recurse(depth: 2) {  
    uid
  	expand(_all_) {
      count(uid)
    }
 }
}

nor

{
    count(uid)
    expand(_all_)
 }
}

gives me what I need

Please give me a sample, a context. So I can help. By your query and text, I can’t tell.

Well, the context is - I know UID of the node, how can I get the size of the k-hop neighborhood (the amount of nodes connected to the provided one directly, or through other nodes, up to the k-th depth). For example here, the size of the neighborhood of this node is 13:

{
  test(func: uid(0x29fa)) @recurse (depth: 2) {  
    uid
    expand(_all_)
  }
}

So how can I get only that number (13 in this case) using count or any other function?

A sample also would be good. If I don’t know what its structure is like, I can’t explore the possibilities. Also, Recurse is a very different query from others, some things may not work well depending on the structure.

You may need to do:

{
    count(httfr)
    count(httfre)
    count(<FAW Women's>)
    expand(_all_)
 }
}

This looks like hardcoding (I mean those httfr, httfre and <FAW Women's>). What if predicates are unknown at the moment of the query execution?

In recursive query is mandatory to insert the predicates you need. Cuz it can traverse a lot of type of nodes. And the purpose of the recurse is for recursing in a determined set of predicates/edges. Otherwise you should just use expand_All.
e.g:

{
    expand(_all_) {
      expand(_all_)
  }
 }
}

This way you will expand all recursively predicates to as many levels as you need. However, there is no “count(_all_)”.

PS. I believe hardcoding is important as it makes the responses predictable (Including the position of keys and values in the answer). I would never recommend using expand_all in a production application. Only if you know what you doing, if you have total control of your DB, Schema, Dataset and you’re okay with it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.