Dgraph November 2020 Community Call

:point_right: Register free here

We are thrilled to announce our next community call on November 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM PST. This month we are featuring a very exciting guest speaker: our Hack and Slash Hackathon winner! We will also have department updates from @vijay and the rest of the Dgraph Team, in addition to a live demo on Lambda in Slash GraphQL.

Don’t miss out on this month’s action-packed agenda, and save your seat for the community call!

Agenda

• 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM: Hack and Slash Hackathon winner talk and Q&A

• 9:30 AM - 9:50 AM: Department updates from the Dgraph Team and live demo on Lambda in Slash GraphQL

• 9:50 AM - 10:00 AM: Q&A with the Dgraph Team

Please submit your questions for the Q&A in this thread.

Hack and Slash Hackathon Winner - Complete Shakespeare by Shardul Aeer

Complete Shakespeare: Shakespeare Alexa Skill powered by Slash GraphQL

Complete Shakespeare is a graph database that stitches together every chapter, character, play and paragraph ever written by Shakespeare. It sources data from and is the spiritual successor to the Open Source Shakespeare project. An Alexa skill consumes this data, letting you query Shakespeare in natural language. You can ask questions like these and it answers back:

1. Who said ‘something is rotten in the state of Denmark’?

2. Who is Lady Macbeth?

3. What are the tragedies of Shakespeare?

4. Tell me a quote.

About Shardul Aeer @secretshardul

Shardul Aeer is a 23-year-old programmer from India. He recently founded GamePe, where he is the technical founder. GamePe a gamification app that rewards you for time spent playing games, like Sweatcoin but for games. He graduated with a CS degree in 2019, and he is a student of Android, React, Node, GraphQL and Cloud.

Feel free to follow and connect with Shardul on LinkedIn, GitHub, and Medium!

Recording

4 Likes

Some questions for the Q&A with @secretshardul (not sure if these would already be covered in the talk):

• How did you hear about the Hackathon? :mega:
  • What made you excited to take part?
  • Where did you get the idea for the project? :bulb:
  • What did you think of the Hackathon experience?
  • What are you going to do with the prize? :money_mouth_face:

Sorry - I know they aren’t technical. I leave it to everyone else to ask those kinds of questions. :wink:

Hi @zoe, here you go:

• How did you hear about the Hackathon? :mega:

Learned about DGraph from Hacker News. It’s been Google and FB ads after that XD.

• What made you excited to take part?

Was looking to evaluate DGraph for a while, the hackathon provided an occasion for that. Writing DB schemas and resolvers was a pain point when using GraphQL, DGraph solved this problem beautifully.

• Where did you get the idea for the project? :bulb:

From the Star Wars API used by graphql.org. I used Alexa because it’s simple to work on- no CSS or JS frameworks to juggle around.

• What are you going to do with the prize? :money_mouth_face:

Its bootstrap capital for an ongoing venture.

2 Likes