Dgraph v21.12.0: Zion release

Wow! nice! This one is expected for several users. Group by value edge!

Docs Needed

Just marking what needs docs in my view for now

4 Likes

@MichelDiz

• These three are going to need docs as well.

(minor doc change)

• These were already committed to v21.03, so I’m not sure why they’re in the changelog…

That being said, as a user, we are extremely happy you guys are moving forward. There were way more updates than I anticipated, and we are super happy about all the hard work the team has done to get this going. I know you guys have been trying to get this going for 5 months now! I am eager to see on the cloud version.

I am also glad you made an announcement for the official release, as the small efforts of communication are extremely important to us users.

• We still would like a roadmap for 2022! This keeps us positive, show you guys are moving forward, and frankly is extremely important to keep more people signing up, and less people trying the competition’s products (either other graphql services, or other graph databases). @mrjn - this is extremely important! (even if the list is short, and the number of releases is 1).

All and all, the feature / bug list here is INSANE!

We appreciate the hard work guys!

If we active users can help with the documentation, let us know!

J

5 Likes

Thankyou team Dgraph! Looking forward to testing out this release.

1 Like

Works great ! :tada:

1 Like

Amazing progress you’ve made. That’s a huge list and I’m going to need some time to actually go through all the changes.
Many features have been added that will come useful for me.

Please keep up the awesome work and know that as part of the community I recognized your additional attention to the discuss forum. Looking forward to more transparency such as a roadmap for 2022 as @jdgamble555 already said.

Personally I would also like to support you guys by contributing to the code. Maybe you could consider some changes to allow that more easily. What I’m thinking about is:

• A list of open issues with priorities (Discuss is not helpful with that imo)
  • Some documents about the structure of the code.
    I’ve learned “a lot” by now, but it’s tedious to jump around the files to find what I’m searching for.
  • Standardized bug reporting/feature requests.
    I haven’t found an actual standardized structure for this within discuss, and as said before the posts are difficult to find.

I know you actively switched from Github to Discuss for that, but maybe you could reconsider that. I’m new to open source contributions, so feel free to clear up anything I may be wrong about.

Again thanks for your work. I’m really looking forward to DGraph becoming a perfect database solution that leaves the competition behind.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the updates and continued improvements.@now we can get to work!

2 Likes

Having an issue trying to run 21.12 in Docker. Has anyone else seen this?

docker command:

docker run -it -p 8995:5080 -p 8996:6080 -p 8997:8080 -p 8998:9080 -p 8999:8000  --label test-cli-dgraph-standalone -v ~/dgraph:/dgraph --name dgraph dgraph/standalone:v21.12.0

You cannot start it on the storage of a v21.03.x system. You need to export+import to upgrade.

https://dgraph.io/docs/deploy/dgraph-administration/#upgrade-database

4 Likes

These two needs documentation.

At least I couldn’t find any documentation describing how to use this. I figured out I start alpha with the flags --lambda "num=2;" and that there are an admin mutation/query for scripts. But what is the workflow. Do I manually post it via GraphQL or is there a deploy util?

This is from the perspective of running a local dev env with docker.

EDIT: For anyone reading this I also figured out that the script sent via updateLambdaScript mutation on the admin endpoint is supposed to be Base64 encoded.

3 Likes

Thanks, sounds great:

But how does the restore work? The dgraph command doesn’t show the restore option in the loading section (as described in the docs):

Dgraph version   : v21.12.0
Dgraph codename  : zion
Dgraph SHA-256   : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Commit SHA-1     : XXXXXXX
Commit timestamp : 2021-12-02 21:20:09 +0530
Branch           : HEAD
Go version       : go1.17.3
jemalloc enabled : true

For Dgraph official documentation, visit https://dgraph.io/docs.
For discussions about Dgraph     , visit http://discuss.dgraph.io.
For fully-managed Dgraph Cloud   , visit https://dgraph.io/cloud.

Licensed variously under the Apache Public License 2.0 and Dgraph Community License.
Copyright 2015-2021 Dgraph Labs, Inc.

Usage:
  dgraph [command]

Generic:
 help            Help about any command
 version         Prints the dgraph version details

Available Commands:

Dgraph Core:
  alpha           Run Dgraph Alpha database server
  zero            Run Dgraph Zero management server

Data Loading:
  bulk            Run Dgraph Bulk Loader
  live            Run Dgraph Live Loader

Dgraph Security:
  acl             Run the Dgraph Enterprise Edition ACL tool
  audit           Dgraph audit tool
  cert            Dgraph TLS certificate management

Dgraph Debug:
  debug           Debug Dgraph instance
  debuginfo       Generate debug information on the current node

Dgraph Tools:
  completion      Generates shell completion scripts for bash or zsh
  conv            Dgraph Geo file converter
  decrypt         Run the Dgraph decryption tool
  export_backup   Export data inside single full or incremental backup
  increment       Increment a counter transactionally
  lsbackup        List info on backups in a given location
  migrate         Run the Dgraph migration tool from a MySQL database to Dgraph
  update_manifest Run the Dgraph update tool to update the manifest from 2103 to 2105.
  upgrade         Run the Dgraph upgrade tool

Flags:
      --alsologtostderr                  log to standard error as well as files
      --bindall                          Use 0.0.0.0 instead of localhost to bind to all addresses on local machine. (default true)
      --block_rate int                   Block profiling rate. Must be used along with block profile_mode
      --config string                    Configuration file. Takes precedence over default values, but is overridden to values set with environment variables and flags.
      --cwd string                       Change working directory to the path specified. The parent must exist.
      --expose_trace                     Allow trace endpoint to be accessible from remote
  -h, --help                             help for dgraph
      --log_backtrace_at traceLocation   when logging hits line file:N, emit a stack trace (default :0)
      --log_dir string                   If non-empty, write log files in this directory
      --logtostderr                      log to standard error instead of files
      --profile_mode string              Enable profiling mode, one of [cpu, mem, mutex, block]
  -v, --v Level                          log level for V logs
      --vmodule moduleSpec               comma-separated list of pattern=N settings for file-filtered logging

Is there any documentation I missed?
Thanks for any hint

https://dgraph.io/docs/enterprise-features/binary-backups/

1 Like

Thanks for you fast response.
However, as I explained, the decribed approach for an offline restore does not work because the dgraph restore command is missing.

Or is just the online restore approach available in v21.12.0?

Thanks

The path for a offline restore is to use dgraph export_backup to translate the backup to a export and to load the export with the bulk loader…

…but that is not how backup restore is supposed to be used. It is for live restore so you issue a mutation to the admin GraphQL endpoint to initiate a restore, as in the doc @amaster507 linked.

Thanks for your explanation @iluminae.

If dgraph export_backup is the new offline restore approach, the official documentation should explain that dgraph restore is no valid solution in v21.12.0 anymore.

https://dgraph.io/docs/enterprise-features/binary-backups/#offline-restore

Restore from Amazon S3:

dgraph restore --postings "/var/db/dgraph" --location "s3://s3.<region>.amazonaws.com/<bucketname>"

https://dgraph.io/docs/deploy/cli-command-reference/#dgraph-root-command

dgraph root command:

Data Loading:     
  bulk          Run Dgraph Bulk Loader          
  live          Run Dgraph Live Loader    
  restore       Restore backup from Dgraph Enterprise Edition   

Yea you may notice a ton of doc changes that need to be done for v21.12. See recent threads on why.

When is this coming to cloud? It’s been 1.5 months since release.
I don’t know what effort is involved, but the point of cloud is for DGraph to manage me staying up to date.

1 Like

is there any update regarding the version of dgraph cloud ?

I see on my cloud backend that it is still on the v21.03.0-92-g0c9f60156

any update about the version upgrade on the dgraph cloud ?

Same thoughts here… I haven’t seen any commits to dgraph since the company restructure. Contributors to dgraph-io/dgraph · GitHub

Some insight to whether or not the on-prem/non-cloud version is going to be supported would be great.

Thanks

Zion is not stable atm so the cloud version is at 21.03

@rahst12 @Jeremy_Robertson Funding talks are still ongoing

join the community discord to be up to date (y) Community-run unofficial Discord community