Linking nodes vs searching predicates

In my app users can have websites, and websites can be for specific web properties, think Twitter, LinkedIn.

Currently my setup is

username: String @index(hash)

webProperty: uid @reverse .
        websiteUserValue: String @index(hash) .
        webPropertyName: String @index(hash) .
        webPropertyKey: String @index(hash) .

So users will all share unique web properties, when they have the same key, say twitter. This way I can quickly find all twitter users if I wanted as the nodes are joined, I can also add extra properties to the twitter webProperty (maybe an icon).

{
 users(func: has(username)) {
  username
  uid
	websites {
       websiteUserValue
       webProperty {
         webPropertyKey
         webPropertyName
       }
     }
   }
}

Having come from an SQL background this is kinda what made sense to me initially. It’s just like a join.

This nesting however adds complexity when creating the entities, and in some ways it would be nice to not have this sub-nesting. Maybe something like:

{
 users(func: has(username)) {
  username
  uid
	websites {
      websiteUserValue
      webPropertyKey
  }
 }
}

Here multiple users would have the same string “webPropertyKey” and if I wanted to find all twitter users I would just search for this predicate.

So my question is: how much of a disadvantage is it to have a webPropertyKey instead of a link to a webPropertyNode?

Are there performance characteristics that are an advantage one way or another?

Is one way more appropriate for a GraphDB?

My thoughts on pros and cons:

node pros

• add extra attributes to webProperty easily for all users
  • find users who have node via @reverse

node cons

• more complex to create the node as you are linking it
  • *currently returns as an array, even though the relationship is really a has_one relationship. A website can only have one and belong to one WebProperty.

Simple predicate pros

• easy to create websites as they are now just two predicates and the webPropertyKey acts as a type filter

Simple predicate cons

• adding any extra properties would require you add them to every user
  • takes up more space? (Is this true)

Are these pros on cons right? Am I missing anything. Any thoughts would be appreciated. #datamodelingishard

Do you have a question, @vespertilian?

@dmai I accidentally saved this before finishing it!

1 Like

The benefit of a graph database compared to a relational database is that you can model your data more naturally in a form similar to a mind map.

A website that can only have one property should use a value predicate. If a website can have multiple properties, use an object predicate.

2 Likes

@dmai

Thanks for the reply, by object predicate I assume you mean a link to a new node? It make sense there would be no performance issue either way.

I think I am on the right track, talking this through is useful.

Thanks!

Yes, object predicate means new node.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.