Concurrency: How to limit the edge count to a given number?

Hello,

I recently described a game scenario where a game is initiated by a player and then the first other player who subscribes to the game will play it.

The structure is basic : nodes for games and players, and a player predicate from a game to a player.

@MichelDiz suggested a method to do it, but it doesn’t seem to fit a great number of players, say 10, 50 or 100.

I don’t know how to use upserts in that scenario, as it only applies to indexes on literals, and it could generate a lot of aborted transactions as there will be (hopefully) a lot of game creations and subscriptions.

My current solution is to add a nano-timestamp as a facet to each player predicate and then only keep the N firsts to subscribe based on the timestamp.

But I can imagine a scenario where it fails, I’m just not sure it can happen.
Here is such a scenario with games allowing maximum 2 players:

• Player A creates game G
  • Player B finds game G available
  • Player C finds game G available
  • Player B generates a timestamp T1
  • Player C generates a timestamp T2 (greater than T1)
  • Player C updates the game with his player predicate and the T2 timestamp
  • Player C queries the game to check if he’s the first to subscribe
  • Player C seems to be the first, the game start
  • Player B updates the game with his player predicate and the T1 timestamp
  • Player B queries the game to check if he’s the first to subscribe
  • Player B find himself and player C as subscribers, but as his timestamp T1 is lesser than T2, he thinks he is the first so he also plays the game

Does this can happen?

I found a solution that might work just fine and I cannot think about a scenario where it fails.

Instead of using timestamps, I will use dGraph new UIDs as tokens for subscribers to games and only keep the N first tokens based on the UID value.

Now, N players (generating N parallel requests) will each:

• get an available game
  • create a token (connected to the game and themselves)
  • get the game node again with all tokens (and their connections to players)
  • sort all tokens based on their UID
  • check if their own token is at a position that fit into the game maximum capacity
  • if not they remove their connections to the game and try the whole process again

Concurrency

Of course this as to be well tested, but it is not easy to do so.
I will write massive parallel tests for my API and see if it works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.