GRPC Run GraphQL Query

Hello all,

Is there a way to run a graphQL query using the dgo golang client?

The main reason why I and my team are trying to use graphQL to communicate with the Dgraph database is that we can’t delete an object using DQL including their relations too.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Hello,

Can you please expand more on your exact use-case in deleting objects and relations ? It is possible to delete objects using their uids in different scenarios -

To delete a node’s specific value:

delete {
   <0x12345> <born> "1980" .
}

For a given node, delete all objects for the predicate called has_purchased using wildcards:

delete {
     <0x12345> <has_purchased> * .
  }

For a node, delete all of its edges (relations and data), including reverse edges:

delete {
     <0x12345> * * .
  }

All of the above commands delete indexes for the removed data as well.

It is not possible to delete nodes based on specific values or predicates. For example, the following 2 wildcard operations are not supported:

delete {
    * <birth_place> "Chicago" .
 }
  delete {
     * * <0x15959> .
  }

Umm… are you sure about that. Maybe edges where it is the subject, but you seem to mean it as reverse edges where it is the object. That is not how @reverse works

Hi Anthony,

Apologies if my comment confused you, but it is actually quite straight-forward:)
Of course, S * * will only delete reverse edges outgoing from the specified node which is the subject S and not the object.
Obviously, we do not want edges incoming from other nodes to be deleted, when those other nodes are not the subject.

HTH

And to play the user’s advocate…

I believe the desired effect is that it DOES delete all inbound edges as well or else you will have phantom edges to nowhere. (Well it actually would go to somewhere being the uid of the deleted node, but that node would not have any predicates or even type(s).)

There is no way in Dgraph to delete ALL references from and TO a given node because there is no * * O delete method.

What is the best practice then? How I can use dgraph in my production since it can’t even handle the deletion of nodes?

@droslean - You normally search for your node by uid, then get the reverse node uids to delete the inverse relationships. If you model your data correctly, you should not have to delete individual nodes at all. Make sure to use @hasInverse, and delete your nodes through graphql, or add both ends through dql and delete both ends.

If this problem comes up, you are probably not modeling your data as efficiently as possible.

Look into @reverse, as that is one way to solve the problem. Also, here are a couple of threads that you may find useful.

J

@jdgamble555 Thanks for the reply!

Your suggestions are really good and make sense but even if the schema is the correct model, how can we maintain the part that deletes the nodes?

Is there any dynamic way to identify which edges of which nodes should be deleted and then delete?

Again, if you use graphql it does all this automatically.

If you use dql, you simply have to search for the connecting node by the uid to delete the reverse edge. You shouldn’t need to randomly search for the inverse edges.

J

You shouldn’t need to randomly search for the inverse edges.

But we actually do. We just don’t want to refactor all blocks of code if we add an edge in the schema. And yes we have to implement a new graphQL client just for the deletions instead.

I was wondering if there is a way to do it with DQL, but based on your replies and the investigation I did in the docs, it seems that there is no way to do it, which in my ignorant eyes that seems as an epic fail in DQL.

But either way. Thanks a lot for all the information! My conclusion is that the best practice is to have a combination of graphQL and DQL.

No, you don’t if you model your data correctly. Again, you can use @reverse if this is an absolute must, but the inverse nodes are not indexed by default to save needless space.

Let me give you an example of why you don’t need this. If you’re writing your own graphql layer, your mutations should do this under the hood:

liking a post

query {
  User as q1(func: eq(User.email, "me@you.com")
}
mutation {
  set {
    <0x1> <Post.liked> uid(User) .
    uid(User) <User.likedPosts> <0x1>
  }
}

If you add the likes in both directions, and equally delete them in both directions, there is no need to worry about aimless searching for your reverse relationships.

query {
  User as q1(func: eq(User.email, "me@you.com")
}
mutation {
  delete {
    <0x1> <Post.liked> uid(User) .
    uid(User) <User.likedPosts> <0x1>
  }
}

Here 0x1 being the post ID you want to like.

J

What you are suggesting is correct but we can’t do this practice in production which is what I am trying to explain in my previous posts. Maybe the solution to my schema can be the @reverse but I am not sure how that works, to be honest. Let me try to give an example.

Let’s say that this is a part of my schema:

type TestProduct {
  id: ID!
  name: String! @id @search
  domain: String @search
  productType: productType! @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
  brand: Brand! @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
  countries: [Country!] @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
  states: [State!] @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
  licenses: [License!] @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
  languages: [Language!] @hasInverse(field: testProducts)
}

If understand correctly, you are saying that with DQL in order to delete a TestProduct I will have to delete all the other nodes as well. So far so good. The problem with this approach is that if we add a new field in TestProduct (e.x newField: [NewField!] @hasInverse(field: testProducts)), we will have to change ALL DQL mutations in every part in the code. This is impossible to maintain. I would appreciate if you elaborate more on why using @reverse will resolve the issue.

So the DQL schema is generated automatically from the GraphQL schema. You can only use reverse on the dql schema. If you’re using GraphQL, you should just use @hasInverse instead, and you should get what you need.

You can, even with DQL. All @reverse does (and all you have to do) is make sure every new mutation creates an inverse triple pointing back to the original node. This is how other graph databases work as well.

If you can’t create one direction, you will not have to delete in only one direction.

I don’t think I understand this. If you add a new field, that field will not have any data. Again, when you add data to a field, make sure to add it in both directions in dql, or use graphql with @hasInverse which does this automatically.

If you’re referring to modifying an existing field from one way to bi-directional… don’t do that. Dgraph does not work well with type changes. You should export the data, then re-import it. Better yet, depreciate the field, and create a new one.

So in sum:

• Always add data in both directions for nested fields if you need to query in both directions
  • If you have one direction, you can get the other direction.
  • Always delete both directions
  • Graphql mutations do all this for you. Use graphql in all cases where possible… even in lambdas. Otherwise, add and delete in both directions.
  • Don’t modify a field in the schema with existing data…

J