Is dgraph recommended for IOT data & chat app like WhatsApp? + some more noob questions

Is dgraph recommended for IOT data & chat app like Whatsapp? + some more questions

• on the pricing calculation page I see a 64-vCPU 256GB-RAM 1TB-storage limitation. If I run out one day and need more, I can scale easy horizontally by adding more machines with a single click without a big hassle, is that correct? just asked to be sure.

• is it recommended to store realtime IOT data (like every second GPS locations or smart home sensors)? I saw that you also have a brilliant subscription feature. So, is dgraph recommended for building chat apps like Whatsapp, or smart-home-sensors, or managing whole chaos-managed warehouses? Do you agree, or do you disagree and recommend something else to use (then why)?

• e.g I am building Google Maps: users that search for a gas station or restaurant, are always searching that within a specific city, and not for the whole world. If I save up now ALL gas stations restaurants supermarkets etc. worldwide within one collection/table/group/alpha-server(dunno what the name is now in our dgraph universe), is optimization sharding etc automatically handled? I read here about that, but just asked to make sure. Maybe it would make more sense to save that up within 195 collections for every single country, but I don’t like that approach since there are cities that sit between 2 countries, and I’d lose global query capabilities(e.g if user wants to search for the best restaurant of the world or of his region or of europe).

Thanks in advance buddies!!! sorry for wasting so much time I am a noob

1 Like

Founder answered me!

• ⁠Yes, you can scale horizontally via the interface, and Dgraph would rebalance shards internally, automatically.
• ⁠Dgraph is perfect for building real-time apps. It has a pretty strong support for datetime type, so can work well with the live incoming IOT / GPS data.
• ⁠If you have the geolocation for the businesses, you can just store that, and use Dgraph’s geo-indexing system. It can then find all the businesses nearby to a specific geolocation, or within polygons like towns / cities / states / countries, etc.

Hope it helps! If you’re in the cloud interface, you can also ask questions to our helpdesk via the “Support” button.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dgraph/comments/pq8wcd/how_good_are_the_query_capabilities_in/hdcc0j6/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&context=3

3 Likes