Any plans to support Darwin/ Windows?

To facilitate better answering of questions, if you have a question, please fill in the following info. Otherwise, please delete the template.

What I want to do

I want to build dgraph from source on my mac.

What I did

make install

Error:

# github.com/dgraph-io/ristretto/z
../../../../go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/ristretto@v0.1.0/z/calloc_jemalloc.go:73:9: could not determine kind of name for C.je_calloc
../../../../go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/ristretto@v0.1.0/z/calloc_jemalloc.go:103:3: could not determine kind of name for C.je_free
../../../../go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/ristretto@v0.1.0/z/calloc_jemalloc.go:143:2: could not determine kind of name for C.je_mallctl
../../../../go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/ristretto@v0.1.0/z/calloc_jemalloc.go:170:2: could not determine kind of name for C.je_malloc_stats_print

No concrete plans, but there is interest. However, some libs that are being used in Dgraph’s Core code are not supported in the Windows environment. Therefore any Windows support would be limited.

Out of curiosity, what libs? I have spun up dgraph on windows, but with linux subsystem…

J

eg jemalloc doesn’t work well on windows.

There’s another one I don’t remember well. But that was giving a lot of problem in Windows. And so it was indicated that it was better to focus on Linux. Since the use of mac and win platforms is greatly reduced in Backends. Everything today is basically Linux. Except for .NET applications, which, oddly enough, have been ported to Linux in the last few years.

I’m all for making Dgraph run fine on Windows and Darwin. However, by way of study and sporadic tests. No implementation in production.

I think with WSL it doesn’t matter on Windows and should support it fine anyway.

J

WSL is not the point. It is Linux anyway. The point is native support on those OS. Dgraph sould work fine in WSL, but it is virtualization tho.

Also, Darwin doesn’t have its own WSL. Or your run a VM or use Docker.