Does free tier or free open source version recommended for production environment?

We want to compare the cost implication on choosing DGraph vs TigerGraph.

Can we use self managed cluster with free version to serve our need ?
We have like 300 million journal entries daily.
We are assuming that Dgraph free version is not enough for the above said large dataset.
If handling this kind of data requires high priced models then is it better to go for TigerGraph ?

Be sure to include the price of your application development to support things that come natively on most any other database. You will most likely find many business logic that cannot be done in the database and must be done on the client side or maybe not supported in any way.

Cost is more than just licensing/hosting fees

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re referencing Dgraph open source or Dgraph Cloud with the “free version” but no performance is gated from the open source version.

On the Cloud, the Free and Shared tiers share compute resources with other DBs, so not recommended for production as performance will vary based on activity of the neighbors. Happy to get you set up with a trial of the Dedicated tier to test your use case if a managed service is what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Thank you. let me talk to my team and get back to you please .

Also could you please provide similar insights on Dgraph Open Source as well? Specifically, its load handling capacity, replication, scalability, high availability features and so on.

Can I assume that all the core features available in DGraph cloud can also be leveraged in Open Source, excluding cloud-specific additional features and self-management responsibilities? If we’re prepared to handle cluster management ourselves, then can I assume that Open source might be sufficient for our use case.

Correct. Self-hosting is mostly equivalent to the Dedicated tier in Dgraph Cloud (excluding the Enterprise features). Replication/HA all included in the OSS.

Capacity will be based on configuration and underlying compute.

1 Like