Just deployed Dgraph Scaleway Dev-S instance and have a few questions about it

Hi, I just installed Dgraph on a Scaleway Dev-S instance for testing and it worked instantly… I was surprised that it is that easy :smiley:

Here are the commands I used:
nohup dgraph alpha --my=localhost:7080 --zero=localhost:5080 --lru_mb=1024 &
nohup dgraph zero --my=localhost:5080 &

Now I am all hyped and have a few questions:

1. It seems that alpha listens on port 8080 for http requests. I want to run my web server on port 8080, can I change the port or disable http completely as i don’t plan to use ratel anyway.

2. I can see an authentication form in ratel . How can I secure Dgraph.

3. /admin/backup seems to be an enterprise feature. Can I manually backup the full database ? If so how can I do it.

4. The most important question. I want to run Dgraph with an apollo node.js express server. I am not a hosting person but I am sure the above commands aren’t suitable for production usage :smiley: I was wondering, what has to be done to make Dgraph available for production usage.

Thanks!!

1 Like

You can’t disable it. But you can change its offset use --port_offset 2 Get started with Dgraph - all ports will increase by 2. eg: 7082, 5082 and so on.

You can use ACL (Enterprise) or just isolate Dgraph behind and API.

You can use Get started with Dgraph it is similar.

which commands?

Just run it, create an API and done.

Cheers.

Michel, thanks again for your help!!!

I started Dgraph with below commands. I am asking because the speaker from the tour videos said, that the standalone docker image is for quickstart purposes and not meant for production usage. I don’t think I am doing anything different. That’s why I am wondering what I have to do.

nohup dgraph alpha --my=localhost:7080 --zero=localhost:5080 --lru_mb=1024 &
nohup dgraph zero --my=localhost:5080 &

Cheers

Don’t use the standalone image for production. Use the official one.

Good to know. Last question: Unfortunately my main Hosting is on Hetzner who doesn’t allow docker images. Can I run it without docker?

Yes, you can just download the binaries and use it in bare metal instances.

Hi there,
I ve just deployed aswell on scaleway dev-s ! ; )

Question I have is about the support of Dgraph’s versions :

How long 1.1.x will be supported ?
What will be the process to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 ?
Will we have a debian / ubuntu package as for regular databases ?

In an ideal world we would have little to do to update within the 1.X (like with postgres). Also I have already read somewhere that from 1.0 → 1.1 you need to do a complet dump and reload … Which is less than ideal, especially if you are looking to run 10 nodes of dgraph :wink:

1 Like

supported by Dgraph? I think until 2.x.x (just guessing).

In general, if the version isn’t backwards compatible, you have to export and reimport. But we recommend always export and reimport.

Dunno, but I don’t think so. I guess the Linux bin works in all dists.

Congrats :slight_smile: I would be interested in hearing how you deployed it. Do you mind sharing :blush: