Manifest has unsupported version

When I update badger in my project, I get this error: manifest has unsupported version: 4 (we support 6). I use master branch. I vendored it last time by end of May 2019. What could have gone wrong?

Side question: I went through commit history and I came to this breaking change [breaking/format] Add key-offset index to the end of SST table by jarifibrahim · Pull Request #881 · dgraph-io/badger · GitHub. Is above error somehow related to it? The PR of the breaking change mentions " Older versions of badger data will not work after this change". Does that mean we have to update older version of badger stores? And if so, how should we do that?

Hey @rohanil,

When I update badger in my project, I get this error: manifest has unsupported version: 4 (we support 6) . I use master branch. I vendored it last time by end of May 2019. What could have gone wrong?

We’ve made a few breaking changes to badger which means the underlying table/vlog structure has changed. If you wish to migrate your old data to the new badger version you can create a backup and restore using the latest version of badger.

Does that mean we have to update older version of badger stores? And if so, how should we do that?

Yes, you will have to migrate your badger data to the new version. To do this

1. Create a backup using the older version (badger backup --dir=...)
  2. Install new version of badger
  3. Restore the original backup (badger restore --dir=...)

Hi @ibrahim,

restroring does not allow any other transaction while it is being done. So migration of data would create temporary inaccessibility to store, right?

That is correct @rohanil.