Too many open files

Having this log / error with 1.0.9-RC4 and RC5. Clients cant connect to server after this.

Pic from RC5

Pic from RC4

You can increase the open files limit on your computer.

See this page for more info: File Descriptor Requirements (Linux Systems) - Sun OpenDS Standard Edition 2.0 Installation Guide

Hi, Daniel. Thanks for your quick reply.

Can you point me to some docs so I can learn what is happening? Is this something that I have to be aware on the server when deploying? I have only webstorm and chrome running right now, and dgraph of course. this is something normal to expect?

Looks like I’m on unlimited already:

Thanks

Is the ulimit of your shell the same as your Dgraph process? Limits are per-process.

Well, sorry if I making any mistake, but it looks like yes. If I do ulimit -aH on the same shell that I started dgraph the results are the same (unlimited).

That’s interesting. You may need to check the soft limit as well.

Is there dgraph recommendations on setting soft/hard limit numbers… I also faced same problem so i doubled it changed 4000 to 8000 limit. Please suggest best practice for dgraph.

There’s now documentation suggesting open file descriptors limits over at https://docs.dgraph.io/deploy/#troubleshooting

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

After restart my mac this morning and trying to start dgraph I’m getting this (using 1.0.9):

I can send you a copy of my p/w/zw dir if you want (160mb rar)

Did you upgrade from a previous version to v1.0.9? When upgrading from one version to another you’ll need to follow the Upgrade Database steps.

Yes, I did a “direct jump” from RCs to the final release without following those steps.

Do you still get the issue when following the upgrade steps?

Actually, as I’m on my dev machine, I just bkped the old dirs and deleted it for a fresh start.

1 Like