Using @auth on individual fields?

Breaking this into it’s own topic, so here is the context:

From reading over the docs on @auth directive I understand that these directives can restrict access to the nodes themselves by using JWT properties to check for user roles, or matching graph fields against those properties.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from how I understand it so far: Once a user has access to a node then the user also has access to all of the fields of that node. If I have a node labeled person and I want to restrict a specific property on that node such as a SSN, while allowing other properties such as the name and age, there is not a native @auth directive to do that at this time.

I am thinking that there is a way to control access to fields like this if instead of it living as a field it lives as a related node. query { person { name hasSSN { SSN } } } I could then control the hasSSN type with it’s own @auth directives.

The following statement from the docs has intrigued me.

In general, an auth rule should select a field that’s expected to exist at the inner most field, often that’s the ID or @id field. Auth rules are run in a mode that requires all fields in the rule to find a value in order to succeed. - The @auth directive

My initial thinking was that the inner fields in a rule would give access to those fields or restrict access to those fields, but that is not the case. If I understand this right this can be used to control access by looking for a field that would only exist if the user has access to the item. Not based upon a value of the field, but solely if it exists or not. If the rule in the example in the docs was changed to look for inner fields id, text and a node existed that did not have a text field then those nodes would be inaccessible. I am trying to think if this logic can somehow be used in a way to control access to fields, but I think the limitation I would run into is that this is only used for granting/restricting the whole node and not just the individual fields.

1 Like

Yeah, currently we don’t have auth to control access to individual fields.
We will try to include it in the 20.11 version.
All the fields are not required in order to succeed an auth rule, that is required only if you combined them using AND.
It depends on the rule that you have applied.

2 Likes