GRPC error when connecting to Slash Graphql

I’m trying to follow the example from the docs on advanced queries, https://graphql.dgraph.io/slash-graphql/advanced-queries/. I used the code Python examples, replacing the placeholder for host (inserting grpc after the backend name) and API token. When I execute the code I get an error from gRPC:

grpc._channel._InactiveRpcError: <_InactiveRpcError of RPC that terminated with:
        status = StatusCode.UNAVAILABLE
        details = "failed to connect to all addresses"
        debug_error_string = "{"created":"@1597148943.335221000","description":"Failed to pick subchannel","file":"src/core/ext/filters/client_channel/client_channel.cc","file_line":4090,"referenced_errors":[{"created":"@1597148943.335217000","description":"failed to connect to all addresses","file":"src/core/ext/filters/client_channel/lb_policy/pick_first/pick_first.cc","file_line":394,"grpc_status":14}]}"
>

Hi @benregn,

Thanks for the bug report. Could you DM me your backend endpoint, and I’ll test it out? Does this happen after you have not used the backend for a long time?

We’ll take a look and get back to you.

Tejas

And another thing is that it looks like pydgraph is having some problems with the latest version of grpcio.

Could you downgrade your grpcio version to 1.19 with pip install grpcio==1.19.0 and then run this script? We’ll figure out a fix for this as well soon.

1 Like

I had the same problem using grpcio in version 1.32

Seeing this now with 1.36.1 what is the recommended workaround now?

Thanks