Ask Dgraph Founder Anything

this!!! +1
this also makes my heart cry - there are so many talented engineers out there with brilliant ideas, which will never get executed…

What is Dgraph lacking? - #8 by Juri I wrote here many things, I break them down now:

here’s a quick to-do what can be done imo:

• website rebranding (just taking an example from firebase and supabase. I’d go with the supabase design-approach. dont waste much time on thinking about an own webdesign, just inspire yourself from competitiors nobody cares. BTW dont use wordpress. wordpress is cool and nice for blogs and websites, but just create the website with react please. that will be a little more work, but you can finetune everything, it will look 999999x more professional, and people will see that it is custom build (dunno why but people dont trust tech solutions that say they are high tech and awesome but didnt took some extra hours for building the website with react. using wordpress looks unprofessional (for a project I and my buddy used wordpress too and people on reddit hated us for using wordpress)))
  • realising it does not matter if dgraph is now a spanner killer, or a firebase killer, or something different… different people want to hear different things, so it’s ok and not unprofessional to just say
    “Hey dgraph is a super scalable backend as a service, with dgraph you don’t need Firestore neo4j Cloud Spanner Elasticsearch or Supabase anymore, we have everything you want to build, run, and scale successful apps in 2022 with every feature. What are you waiting for, dig now into our docs or our guid or our video tutorial and GO!” it’s ok to brag and actually mention other products, many do that, and tbh I even love that. I love it when a company makes an own comparisson of their product against another one Algolia vs Elasticsearch vs Meilisearch vs Typesense Comparison
  • Docs, please, we need better docs for noobs, the only reason I am here is because you answered my specific questions on reddit + i spend much time understanding and asking questions. Many people dont want to get active and ask questions around, they want to look into the docs or google, and find the questions with their answers. They want tutorials on youtube. Noob developers of today are the top engineers tomorrow. One approach is to split up the docs into 2 docs, into the docs how they are now (not much described/explained, but very good for quickly look up something), and docs who actually teach dgraph in depth, you can make them ridiculous long with many explanations examples and so on, people will just read them 1x and will use for look-ups the short docs.
    So you basically just leave the docs as they are, and create second docs where you write big romans with mannnnny examples so that even donkey kongs like me will understand everything without having any gaps.
  • contacting fireship, freecodecamp, netninja (all these awesome dudes that publish tutorials for free), and ask them if they want to make tutorial dgraph videos, and taht they can get your discord/skype/whatsapp/whateveryouuse and they can contact you with questions and you will answer them immediately (this makes it much easier creating quickly a video and understanding dgraph quickly with asking annoying questions like I did LOL but they won’t wait until someone on discuss replies, they want answers immediately to have the video done ASAP without wasting too much time)
  • making 1:1 the same video course just with dgraph https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl-K7zZEsYLluG5MCVEzXAQ7ACZBCuZgZ

this are really simple quick things you can get done within december! sum up:

• completely new website built with react/gatsby/nextjs (without bugs, I contacted you guys via email cuz of a basic 404 bug and it was never fixed afaik (some weeks ago wasnt fixed yet))
  • starting to brag that dgraph is the backend/database with the biggest D in the room and make comparisons to every other backend/database product. just compare dgraph to mysql supabase firestore, nobody cares that you can’t fr compare these things. aggressive brazen bold marketing. if you tell people dgraph is the backend/db with the biggest D that can do everything better than anyone else, they are likely to give it a shot
  • extra docs for noobs plsssss
  • contact youtubers and give them your number/discord/facebook/whateveryouuse for immediately support (if you as the CEO give them a direct way to contact you immediately (email is not a direct way), they will appreciate it and know that you respect their precious time and they’ll therefore spend even more passion into presenting dgraph to the world since they know dgraph is not a project for you bot a passion, for which you are willing to give up private space/time. I suggest that you make with each youtuber an own whatsapp or discord group with the youtuber and you and all the other devs like dmail and daniel, so that if he has a question someone immediately replies to him. you can also add me and if the other guys Anthony gamble Koder want, also to the group)
  • making an own youtube video course. it’s really simple. you create a word doc, you write the content of each video + script, you speak the script into your mic, and then you create the video content. then you mix up everything together in premiere pro. I can give you via zoom/teamviewer assistant into cutting (some years ago I made videos, here’s one of it Redirecting... ) I can help you to make the videos feel more professional and easy to understand since I am a noob and have the view of a noob and can give you the feedback of a noob

that’s it. these are easy measures you can start today. this can polish dgraph extremely up imo

Reddit - Dive into anything

took me now an hour to write this (._.) gud night

3 Likes