Deploy Dgraph cluster on AWS, non-containerized

Hi,

Looking for any pointers on deploying Dgraph on AWS. Looking to deploy a non-containerized version.
There was a similar post by someone for a single alpha/zero setup. Struggling getting a production quality DGraph instance setup - #7 by vespertilian

Does anyone have the instructions for it?
[vespertilian][Cameron Batt] mentioned he would write up the instructions for it. Not sure if it is contributed some place.

Overall you just need to install the binaries. And have a DNS system for internal communication between instances. Or some private network connecting them. In this case configuration and security details are up to you.

From Install Scripts (Linux/Mac) https://docs.dgraph.io/get-started/#from-install-scripts-linux-mac

Sushama,

Hello

So I ended up setting it up on AWS with ECS which is similar to docker compose. I have not documented it yet as I got busy (new job), and I want to document a node library I have been building first (GitHub - vespertilian/dgraph-js-extras: A library of helper functions to accompany the dgraph-js library). Also not sure if my setup is really a great setup. Dev-ops is not my speciality.

That said, here is a screen capture of my AWS ECS settings which might help you.

Overview

Zero

Server

One of the issues that stumped me is how to backup and restore when upgrading versions. My solution, which I tried once successfully was to attach an AWS EFS volume to the docker container and backup to that, then restore in another ECS instance from the EFS backup.

I hope that helps you a bit.

I don’t feel like this setup is great, but for now it’s fine for me. I don’t have users so I can always blow away my old DB. I don’t want to spend any more time on managing a DB in 2019. I am hoping they get a hosted service I can just pay for by the time my app is actually ready, this is my side project so I have a lot of other features to work on.

I asked about a hosted version in the roadmap. Maybe add your 2c there.

If you get stuck I will try to answer but it will likely be on the weekend when I have some time.

1 Like