Dgraph.io website

@staff Made a bunch of changes. Shifted description to modal and I feel the team section now looks better.

Changes left to make

1. Change @koppula image.
  2. Change @ashwin95r image to black and white.
  3. Add a You ? section to team. Not sure if this is the best way though @mrjn . Wouldn’t it better if we just added a line below which said this ?
  4. Think how the Find out More section can be improved more.

Looking great @pawan

Some edits:

• “Passionate about solving challenging problems? Prefer an honest, open and transparent culture? You will love it here.”
  • Reduce font size for “Details here” under “Open Salary …”
  • “Get your own Macbook Pro”
  • “2500 towards a workstation and desk of your choice”
  • “Medical coverage for your dependents and you”
  • Instead of “Gym Memberships”: “Fitness and Sports”
  • “If this sounds interesting to you, get in touch” and underline the get in touch part since it wasn’t obvious to me where to click on (or alternatively use a different color)
  • “Find out more at” – revise to “Learn more about DGraph”
  • Let’s put a footer with a copyright – “© 2016 DGraph Labs”
  • Typo in my first name, should read “Prashanth”. Title should read “Co-Founder & COO”.
  • @mrjn What titles are we using in engineering: “Software Engineer” or “Developer” (@pawan we may need to revise Ashwin’s title)
  • @pawan Didn’t see your profile

@koppula thanks for suggesting the changes. They all make sense .

I have been a bit lazy on uploading my profile. Will do it today.

Suggested changes made @koppula

DGraph is written entirely in Go – that was under the “Open Source” bulb, next to Distributed and Scalable etc.

Written entirely in Go language, DGraph is available under a very …

And in the end, just say “Learn more about DGraph at”

Details: Ashwin’s photo isn’t B&W
‘$’ sign comes before the number, so $2500

Medical coverage for you and your dependents

If you sweat, <space> we’ll pay for it.

Instead of work anywhere, anytime, just say “We’ll cover your co-working space costs.” – honestly, not sure if we really want to promote people not coming to office.

Also, set my title as “Co-founder and CEO.” Ashwin’s title “Developer” doesn’t sound good – call him “Backend Engineer.”

Copyright company name is: DGraph Labs, Inc.

Done

oh, I thought we were going to be a remote organisation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think the current idea is to have 2 hubs, SF bay area and Bangalore. I
def don’t want to miss out on someone working remotely, but that’d be an
exception for exceptional people. Not the norm.

Okay.

A lot of organisations like Buffer, Basecamp, Atlassian,Automattic(people behind Wordpress) and others have fully remote teams. I too feel it brings in more freedom and allows more work to get done in less time. This saves the company money it would spend in having an office space etc. Would be great if we could try it out and see if it works for us.

If you are interested, you could read this book.

2 Likes

@pawan It’s getting better as we iterate.

The page load time is bad on a mobile device. Due to the film data demo. Not sure what we can do about it. Just checked our Analytics data: 70% of traffic is from desktop, 26% from mobile, 4% from tablet. I suspect this will shift once the news about DGraph starts to filter through. I’m expecting this to move to at least an even split between desktop and mobile. Can we confirm that the load time is mainly due to query latency and not something else?

A couple of things:

• Instead of “Flexible Vacations” let’s use “Flexible Time Off” along with “Completely self-manage when you need to take some time off” to cover not just vacations
  • My profile pic has been uploaded on Trello. Will add edits to the profile.

Regarding remote / distributed, I look at us building up critical mass in the Bay Area and Bangalore (possibly others down the road). So everyone on the team would have one of those two as their home office. At the moment we aren’t going in for a dedicated office. Hence our decision to cover co-working space. We’ll take a look at whether it makes sense to have a dedicated office in these two locations but this won’t happen until we grow a bit more. Potentially once we do Series A and have some milestones and validation under our belt to justify a dedicated office space. Meanwhile we should use this opportunity to experiment with being distributed. This is really a great time to try this out and our learning will inform our decisions in the future.

Very good points @pawan and @koppula re: distributed teams.

The advice I’ve been getting has been to keep the team in one place, because our technology is really hard – it makes knowledge transfer easier; and I see merit in that argument. But, also loosing out on a great talent just because they aren’t willing to relocate or can’t relocate; would be really bad.

Yeah, I think we’re in a good state right now to figure out if it works for us. Typically open source projects tend to have very distributed teams, so let’s see how it works out :smiley:.

You can bring back the work anytime anywhere mantra @pawan.
The Open Salary and Equity thing – how about calling it Open and Transparent, and then below a link See our salary and equity formula.

Also, in the Kindle for every team member, remove the Plus sign, and move the Unlimited books to new line. Think it would look better.

1 Like

Made the changes @mrjn. CSS breaking issue is fixed as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remember to update Trello.

Yes, did that already.

1 Like

Added We are Hiring in jobs section, clicking on which opens up a modal for the description of the job. I think this is the right place, because perks are also here. Adding this to to the team section might not be the right thing to do.

Small corrections in your bio:

After graduating from IIT Delhi in 2014, Pawan worked in various startups understanding how the web works. His interest in distributed systems and application of concepts in Computer Science to solve real world problems led him to DGraph. In his free time, he likes to travel, do yoga, read and cook.

Regarding job description:

We are looking for outstanding backend engineers to join our team. As part of the team, you would be responsible for the design, architecture and implementation of our native and distributed open source graph database, DGraph.

Requirements:
3+ yrs of backend engineering experience.
Experience developing distributed systems or databases.
Experience building applications in C, C++, or Go.

Nice to haves:
Previous experience at Google, Facebook, Twitter or Dropbox. Check out our Samurai equity multiplier [links to the Open Culture doc].
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source.

If this sounds interesting to you, drop us a mail at join@dgraph.io

1 Like

Thanks, made these changes.

Would be cool to add another sheet called Calculate your salary to our Open Culture google spreadsheet.
You enter certain values, and get to see your salary.

1 Like

Found this interesting. Whether a link should be open in a new tab or the same one. Will be crucial especially in mobiles. http://uxmovement.com/navigation/why-external-links-should-open-in-new-tabs/

2 Likes

Nice article @ashwin95r. This is why I open our salary doc and links in the Find Out More section in a new tab.

Also noticed how discourse doesn’t open links in new tab which is frustating.

The site is not properly aligned in mobile. Like if you click on a team member, the description box is not proper. Could you have a look at it @pawan