Manish Jain - Serverless GraphQL with Slash GraphQL

About Manish

Manish is the Chief decision maker at Dgraph. He got thrust into distributed systems right out of college, working on real time web indexing system at Google. He then lead various projects to consolidate and serve knowledge graph right behind web search. Implementing GTD and Zero Waste practices, Manish is into efficient and minimalist living. He loves cycling, swimming and ultra light travelling.

Serverless GraphQL with Slash GraphQL

Try Slash GraphQL today! :point_right:t3: slash.dgraph.io

Have questions for Manish? Submit them below.

Manish would love to answer them!

Haven’t signed up for the free conference yet?

Grab your free tickets here: https://graphqlcon.space

Follow Manish

Github: manishrjain (Manish R Jain) · GitHub

Twitter: https://twitter.com/manishrjain

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/manishrjain/

1 Like

Hey Manish, the question could sound primitive.
What would be serverless vs slash be like?

Thanks & looking forward to your note!

Already in production, already have many different services written in different stacks all combined under apollo federation gateway

Wish to be able to add dgraph to our toolbelt as a service, e.g. buy SaaS, configure it, add it to our gateway as yet another service

Wondering if it is/or will be possible?

The ‘Load a sample app’ feature is great! Will there be the ability to edit the front-end code and see the changes as well? To go further, will there be an ability to host custom apps with custom domains?

I’m really happy about the native queries feature! :+1: Will be native Javascript queries in Slash GraphQL available also in the Dgraph directly? When we can expect that this feature will be available? :slightly_smiling_face:

More of a discussion rather than question, but I’m curious how you and Dgraph team are gonna respond to GQL Standard (which is currently in proposal) since that one might have a chance to work differently compared to GraphQL. Will you strive to make both of them compatible to each other?

Can we deploy Slash to own cloud on OVH for instance and how will that be charged? We have apps with LOTS of data and it is too expensive to host in AWS or GCP.

Two Questions?
Is slash deployable to a custom server / on prem?

How does local development happen, can I spin slash up in a docker container?

1 Like

Great Question! Most serverless frameworks just hide the number of servers you are running. They say give me a javascript function and we’ll run it for you. But you still have to write code, connect to a database, etc!!!

We are one step further - backendless. Just give us your schema and we’ll set up everything.

1 Like

Do you have any recommendations on how to do development work using this? I know this is very open ended… but should we do dev in a Docker container, on our Mac, etc?

Yup, I think a lot of people will be using this pattern, slowly moving one service at a time over to Slash GraphQL. We are currently working with apollo federation.

Glad you asked. Yes, all the front end apps are open sourced. You can see instructions on forking them here: https://dgraph.io/docs/slash-graphql/one-click-deploy/

2 Likes

Personally? I develop with Slash. The free tier and command line means you can just spin up backends on a whim. So spin up a backend in the morning, keep applying a schema, and shut down in the evening.

if you already have a slash account, do you still get the 50k credits? I want to give it a go… Let me know if this is possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slash GraphQL is powered by Dgraph, so you can run dgraph locally if you’d like to. We wanted to make sure that you avoid vendor lock in if you ever want to move away, so there is no extra features that slash adds over open source Dgraph GraphQL (other than whatever it takes to manage it in the cloud).

But that said, I love to just work with Slash. The CLI lets you spin up a backend, and just use it.

This is amazing! Can’t wait to get my hands clean on this!
Thanks for the reply!

Great work Manish & Team!

1 Like

Yes, this is something we are currently working on! You can follow this for updates: Implement custom JS resolvers in GraphQL - #29 by amaster507

1 Like

I have tried Hasura once. There I need a separate db endpoint to set up the backend. But As per I have understood, I don’t have to care about db in slash graphql. I just need a schema and my backed is up and running. Am I correct?

1 Like

very informative, already singed up

1 Like

Is there any plan for new Slash GraphQL regions (espically East Asia)?

1 Like