Possible to run graphiql locally?

Hello

I know that graphiql and Rafel are part of the cloud offering. And I expect I will be signing up for this soon.

However, it would be very helpful if it were possible to use graphiql locally, when developing with the help of docker.

Is this possible now? If yes, can someone please offer some guidance on how to run graphiql locally?

1 Like

You can find GraphiQL in GraphQL repositories. You can run it by cloning the repo.

Thank you.

Perhaps my original post wasnt specific. I’m aware of the graphiql repo.

However what I’m interested in is being able to use this, in conjunction with dgraph, locally. This is available in the dgraph cloud now, so the integration is already done.

To clone and run the graphiql repo will of course mean re-doing the integration with dgraph.

The Cloud UI is a closed source as far as I know. So, not possible.

Ok, but I’m not wanting to run the cloud UI.

I’m wanting to run GraphiQL, which is open source.

I appreciate that GraphiQL is part of the Cloud UI offering.

It does seem odd that Rafel is specific to dgraph, and is able to run locally. Graphiql, which is very popular with many graphql projects is not offered as part of the open source dgraph offering.

The success of the Dgraph cloud should be based on the managed infrastructure, not on GraphiQL.

Well, we have added GraphQL support ~mid 2020. Ratel was made for DQL only since the beginning. And we don’t wanna confuse users supporting GraphQL on Ratel. So we use other known tools to do so.

Yes, cuz you can simply clone the repo or use some other well known tool/client for GraphQL. We don’t need to focus in creating a “rebranded” tool. As you can just clone it, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

It is understandable to do something “custom” to “attach” in the Cloud UI. But for open source, we have the culture of “git clone” it.

Thanks, but I’m confused with your statement.

Can you tell-me what do you need? I can help you out to run GraphiQL locally if you need.

PS. If you are looking for some feature added to our custom GraphiQL, that’s closed source tho. If there is some.

Cheers.

Run Dgraph as you would (dgraph zero followed by dgraph alpha).

Start Graphiql, go to this endpoint: localhost:8080/graphql

I think maybe he is looking for a GUI locally to set schema? There isn’t one that I know of. But GraphiQL can be used simply as described. I downloaded the express desktop app of GraphQL Playground and run it locally against my cloud, but could literally point it at any GraphQL endpoint

I’ve an allergy to using Electron apps (such latency, much slow typing), so I decided to write my own lsp and pair it with graphql.el on emacs. I’m a much happier person now

1 Like

Oh, I didnt realize. Ok. I’ll try that.

I like the query and mutation assistance that Graphiql provides. And the introspection-like feature - maybe its something additional that dgraph provides - with the prebuilt queries and mutations.