Tutorial site not working as advertised

Moved from GitHub tutorial/4

Posted by kortschak:

I have followed the instructions on intro page 2 wrt installing the docker image, however the page 3 gives me “Error: Is Dgraph running locally?”. It is as demonstrated by being able to successfully run the command in a browser pointed at localhost:8080.

It looks like the tutorial site is trying to connect to a dgraph server not at this particular localhost.

Are there more complete instructions to get hugo to serve the tutorial locally?

MichaelJCompton commented :

Hi @kortschak, thanks for pointing this out. If you are running dgraph in Docker from the same machine that you are running the browser on, then it should be pointing to localhost. When you point the browser to localhost:8080 you get the dgraph UI?

You can run the site locally by grabbing the source from github and running hugo -w server from the top level directory.

I’ll test further and get back to you.

kortschak commented :

When you point the browser to localhost:8080 you get the dgraph UI?

Yes.

You can run the site locally by grabbing the source from github and running hugo -w server from the top level directory.

Thanks. I figured it was going to be something like that.

Does it work now that you are running the whole thing locally?

kortschak commented :

Yes, it works when it’s all on this machine.

Hi @kortschak does this docker incantation work better for running the server from tour.dgraph.io?

docker run -it -p 127.0.0.1:8080:8080 -v ~/dgraph:/dgraph --name dgraph dgraph/dgraph dgraph --bindall=true

kortschak commented :

No, still no good.

@sungwoncho I’ve been able to reproduce an error now. I’ve got chrome, safari and Dgraph running.

• in chrome the tutorial is working fine

• in safari it doesn’t work off tour.dgraph.io (reports Error: Is Dgraph running locally?) , but it does work locally.

TBotV63 commented :

I’d just like to point out that I am also experiencing this due to mixed content blocking on firefox (54.0.1 stable). Some sort of hint that mixed-content policies may interfere would be helpful, as the current error message is rather nondescript when it comes to the nature of the error encountered.

Oroneki commented :

Me too: not working in firefox, but in Chrome is ok.

webmasterraj commented :

Same issue here. Works fine in Chrome v60, but not Firefox v58

kortschak commented :

Any idea on whether this will be fixed?

dersmon commented :

Issue still exists, Firefox v60.0.2.

manishrjain commented :

@paulftw Can you look into this?

paulftw commented :

@kortschak I know it’s been a while, but did you hit the issue in Firefox or Chrome?
Other users explicitly specified the problem in FF only, but I want to make sure the root cause was same in your case.

kortschak commented :

Yes, I use firefox. It works with chrome.

paulftw commented :

Closing as it’s stale, there’s been a fix more than a year ago.

we’re rebuilding and retesting everything for dgraph-1.1 and if any bugs are still present they’ll be picked up during release testing.